Thursday, September 8, 2011

Extra Credit Blog #1 National Geographic Commemorates 9/11 Attacks

For this extra credit blog I followed the link in the e-mail that the professor sent us for information on the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. When I went to this site I found many interesting videos that gave a good tribute to this time period where instead of invoking terror on the United States Americans pulled together and became stronger as individuals by aiding each other.

The First video was entitled Finding Bin Laden and was found at the link:
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/national-geographic-channel/specials-1/remembering-911/ngc-finding-bin-laden.html
I thought this video was really cool and showed a lot of detail that I have been craving to see since the night it had happened. I can still remember the night President Obama was set to make an important announcement to the nation. After finding out Osama Bin Laden was killed that night my roommates and I went downtown for the biggest random celebration Penn State has ever seen on East Beaver Ave. I will never forget that night and the sense of nationalism that was flowing through our campus and most likely the rest of the nation as well. Not until today did I get to witness the actual video of seal team six actually going in and killing Osama. However, I thought the minuscule amount of defense Osama had set up was surprising considering the seals got right in and took him out with little to know trouble at all.  

The next video I watched was titled President Bush looks back and was found at the link:
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/national-geographic-channel/specials-1/remembering-911/ngc-the-president-looks-back.html
This video was very interesting and I was surprised the President kept his cool after hearing that a second plane hit the second tower. When the President was told that we were now going to be at war the look on his face was priceless. Yet he kept his cool and finished out the meeting he had with the students at the school in order to keep his good image. That day will live in infamy in the hearts of all Americans.

The last video that I watched was entitled True Heroes and the link was found at:
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/player/national-geographic-channel/specials-1/remembering-911/ngc-true-heroes.html
This was the most touching video of the three that I viewed, I also remember when this happened all those years ago because this plane crashed very close to my house. It was very sad listening to these paramedics talking about wanting to help these people, but there was nothing left of their bodies to help. The people on the flight who killed the terrorists and flew the plane knowing it was to their deaths into an open field truly know self sacrifice and will forever be remembered forever.

After watching all of these videos I realized that National Geographic brought with them a strong message and sense of nationalism for the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Hopefully these videos inspire others as they inspired me into getting into a good field and helping our nation out any way they can with some type of counter-terrorism.

No comments:

Post a Comment